What Should I Do If I’m Involved In A Car Accident?
What if the crash wasn’t your fault?
You’re driving on the Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia. Or maybe you’re on the New Jersey Turnpike. Suddenly, another vehicle hits your car. What should you do? What are your options?
These are questions we hear every day at Villari, Giannone and Matteo Based in Philadelphia and serving car accident victims throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and nationwide, we know how the system works and what needs to be done to build a strong legal case.
If your accident happened several days or weeks ago, don’t worry. There’s still time to take legal action and obtain the financial compensation you deserve for your accident. But the longer you wait, the harder it often becomes to build a strong legal case. That’s why we want to meet with you as soon as possible. Simply contact us and schedule your free case evaluation.
What you should do after a car accident
Immediately after the accident:
- Contact the police – Tell them you’ve been in an accident and ask them to respond, especially if the other driver leaves the scene. Having an official police report for your accident will likely make it much easier to obtain the compensation you deserve for your crash.
- Get emergency help – If anyone appears injured after your accident, make sure you have a medical professional examine them at the scene of the accident or right away at a hospital emergency room or another medical facility.
- Get driver’s information – Make sure you obtain the following information from the other driver:
- Full name
- Home address
- Driver’s license number
- Insurance policy number
- Gather information – Evidence builds strong cases. That’s why it’s important that you gather as much information as possible about your crash at the scene of the accident. We recommend that all accident victims:
- Take photos of accident scene
- Take photos of damage to vehicle
- Write down exactly when and where accident occurred.
- Write down road conditions, weather conditions, anything that seems important. The more details, the better.
- Talk to witnesses – Witness testimony can often make a dramatic difference in the outcome of a case. If someone saw your accident, make sure you get the witness’s full name, address and phone number. Also ask the police officer investigating your accident to get a statement from the witness.
Soon after the accident:
- Follow-up appointment – Have your doctor examine you again several days or weeks after your accident. Some serious injuries are not immediately apparent after an accident. That’s why it’s important to have your doctor evaluate you a second time.
- Don’t talk to anyone – It’s important after your accident to keep your comments about the crash to a minimum. Anything you say could potentially be used to reduce or deny your accident claim in the future.
- Contact our law firm – We strongly advise you to contact us as soon as possible. Our experienced accident attorneys know how to deal with every single step after a crash – from filling out forms to dealing with insurance companies.
- Contact your insurance company – Tell them you’ve been in a car accident caused by someone else. But otherwise, keep your comments to a minimum. Anything you say – no matter how innocent it might seem – could hurt your ability to obtain financial compensation for your crash.
- Don’t talk to the other driver’s insurance company – If you receive a phone call from the other driver’s insurance company, don’t say anything to them. Politely tell them to refer all their questions to our law firm. Most insurance company investigators are simply fishing for information they can use to deny your accident claim.
- "Want to thank all of you once again not only for your professional services but your friendship and feeling like family through all of these past four years as we fought to rebuild Stefanie's life. I could not have made a better choice for helping us through this ordeal."
- "They are all very helpful, caring and they do everything to try to make sure you as a client are OK and get you what you deserve. I would recommend them to anyone. They are a great law firm."
- "I will happily be recommending your firm to anyone who may need your help in the future because of Jen, Eric and Brian."